dimanche 20 septembre 2009

How I came to be a Hijabi


Enter your email address for exclusive updates:


How I came to be a Hijabi
by Mary Bridges

I was not raised in a religious household. My parents loosely subscribe to the Christian faith, and I was expected to do the same. As a high school student in small-town Alabama, USA...I tried to be a firm believer in the Christian faith to "fit in"... but it never clicked and I felt like a fraud. After the disaster of 9/11, and the media frenzy that followed... I knew one group of people couldn't be all bad. So I began my journey and started learning all I could about Islam. A few years later when I was at a very low point in life, my best friend gave me an English translation of the Quran. I couldn't put it down. The imagery, the poetry... I felt at peace and I dared to hope.  Soon after, I took my shahada. 

It took me about a year to begin my transcendence into a hijabi. I started small. First no more shorts, only long pants or skirts. Then I graduated to no more short sleeves. Only 3/4 length or long sleeves. After a few months, I really wanted to wear the scarf. I had no clue how to tie it "properly", so I practiced for months on end... too embarrassed to ask for help. When I came upon an opportunity for a new job as a substitute teacher, I promised myself I would wear the scarf to the interview. And I did. I felt incredibly out of place and it took some time before I got used to the stares... but eventually, I got over it. And I haven't looked back, nor regretted the decision since that moment.  I don't feel like wearing the scarf is what makes me Muslim... I'm still Muslim when I'm at home and don't have it on.  However, the scarf tells everyone else that who I am, and is an expression of my devotion.

4 commentaires:

You are a raw model to any sweet free and brave girl that rejects to be bounded by the rules of a society claims to free the women’s where in reality it materialize them and sell them as cheap goodies in the name of freedom ….. Hope for more girls like you to see the inner beauty in them and preserve it the way you did

@Anonymous: lovely comment ma sha allah! jazzak allah khair :)

Asalaam alaikum, Lovely story! How can i get my imaan to grow i do not know how to pray yet...

@Anonymous: surround yourself with people who have eeman and indulge yourself in listening to lectures, reading books etc. Let us know if we can help you !

Enregistrer un commentaire

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites